FEA has always been one of our core analysis tools, though it has become more important as our products are developed with advanced strain based design techniques.
Why do we do this? It is driven by the our markets, for example: mooring applications define manufacturing test loads above yield (see video below!), and HPHT (20,000psi) codes refer to ASME Div III design methods. Strain based design also confers reliability and efficiency advantages: localised regions of stress above yield can be assessed and checked against strain data from testing.
Our engineers operate ANSYS FEA software, routinely modelling subsea and riser equipment with 2D & 3D linear (elastic) analysis and non-linear (plastic) analysis. Some of the services we offer include:
- Simplified axi-symmetric stress analysis for concept level designs
- Detailed 3D stress analysis for complex components and structures
- Analysis of parts and assemblies with complex contacts
- Modal and frequency response analyses
- Stress linearisation and assessment against API, ISO, DNV and NORSOK codes
Below you can see a video of a stud-link chain analysis that we completed with our sister company InterMoor. We developed a detailed wear model of the chain interfaces to predict wear rates with bending loads applied, following deformation of the chain to the proof loaded condition.